Monday, August 13, 2012

Farewell Carolinas, A 4PAD

I had not the resources for TPADing last night.  I am currently broadcasting from a North Carolina McDonald's and eating food that will kill me.  Yesterday was my last Southcarolina day, and I tried to make the most of it.  The supposed best birding location on the East Coast (Huntington Beach State Park) was pretty much... meh.  No shorebirds to speak of.  So I meandered up to the Orangeburg Sod Farms, which were sick.  A few lifers here and there, but mostly it was just a ton of Pectoral Sandpipers.  Like hella of them.  I did not bird today, but am considering an evening Red-headed Woodpecker search, since I have missed them during this entire trip.  I head home tomorrow.  Until then, I bid you adieu.  


Prairie Warbler, Huntington.

Laughing Gull, Huntington.

Also at Huntington.  This is the only snake I've seen on this entire trip.  What is it?

Semipalmated Sandpiper, Orangeburg Sod Farms.

2 comments:

  1. It's a rat snake. I think it's a not very yellow version of what used to be called a yellow rat snake. The taxonomy (both Latin and common names) have moved around lately. Used to be genus Elaphe, but is now Pantherophis, which is a way cooler name, "Panther Snake."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's a typical SC-style Rat. Some refer to it as a yellow x black x gray Rat. If you go north, they turn black, south -> yellow, west -> gray. Sick.

    ReplyDelete